Wednesday, November 14, 2012

censorship (again) (unfortunately)

I wish I could post this link with the words "presented without comment," but I can't really do that since the whole point of this blog assignment is for me to present my comments on certain issues. But the author of this article perfectly articulates my feelings. So with that, I give you this: How Utah School Officials Are Violating The First Amendment In Library Book Case. It's really hard for me to comprehend why this is still an issue in today's society. I don't understand why people feel the need to limit other peoples' freedoms (in this case, freely choosing library materials) just because they personally disagree with the content of those materials. Storing In Our Mothers' House behind the desk perpetuates feelings of hostility and intolerance towards the GLBTQ community. I say good on ya, Ms. Weber, for challenging this needless censorship. Because ultimately:
"Children come from all types of families, and the school libraries should serve the entire school community. The fact of the matter is that children with same-sex parents attend schools across the country – including in Davis School District. Removing books from the shelves won’t change that. Regardless of the race, sex or marital status of a child’s parents, they are part of the school community, and their families should not be hidden away as something shameful." -- Joshua Block

No comments:

Post a Comment